By Diane, Pacific Aire Comfort Advisor,
Homeowners and builders concerned about indoor air quality choose antimicrobial ducts as one strategy to keep the household environment healthy. Concern about the health effects of contaminants like toxic mold spores has focused on HVAC ducts for some time.
The dark and often moist environment inside ducts is a friendly breeding ground for mold colonies. And the continuous exposure to circulating air makes it the perfect starting point for mold spores to spread throughout the living spaces of your home.
Mold mitigation strategies have traditionally centered on mold control: duct cleaning and high-efficiency whole-house filter arrays mounted inside ducts. Now, antimicrobial ducts take mold remediation methods to the next level: prevention.
Ductwork with antimicrobial coatings prevent the establishment of mold. Most varieties use an antimicrobial silver ion coating inside the ducts. Tiny amounts of moisture — a prime ingredient for mold growth — on the interior surface of the ductwork activates the antimicrobial properties, which destroy the mold microbes before they can multiply and become established in the duct.
Here are five other advantages that encourage homeowners to choose antimicrobial ducts.
1. Safety: Antimicrobial ducts are used in many medical environments and in schools, airports and other sensitive areas.
2. Long-lasting action: Because the antimicrobial properties are incorporated into the tough inner core of the duct, the mold-inhibiting properties are an integral part of the ductwork. As long as the inside coating remains intact, the ductwork will continue to kill mold, mildew, bacteria and other fungi for years.
3. Wide-spectrum effect: The antimicrobial activity is effective against many forms of microorganisms including all common molds and yeasts as well as listeria and e coli bacteria.
4. Duct protection: In metal ductwork, the anti-microbial coating on the interior of ducts also adds a level of protection against corrosion and rust, preventing leakage.
5. Flexibility: Antimicrobial coatings can be utilized to protect flexible ducts where conventional mold-killing ultraviolet (UV) systems cannot, as UV light may deteriorate the inner core of flexible ductwork.
At Pacific Aire Heating & Cooling, we're focused on the indoor air quality and comfort of homeowners in the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valley areas. Call us for more reasons to choose antimicrobial ducts.
Image via Shutterstock.com