By Greg, Pacific Aire Comfort Advisor
Once you begin looking for a new air conditioner, you’ll be surprised at how quickly you’ll learn about A/C components, “green” features and what differentiates an efficient system from an inefficient one.
It’s an education you’ll always be glad you acquired, especially as you consider that today’s systems come equipped with such features as:
- Two-stage cooling, which allows the compressor to operate at lower speeds during moderate weather, saving energy
- A more efficient fan motor, or an Electronically Commutated Motor (ECM) that operates at a higher efficiency by using automatic speed adjustments and therefore uses less energy
- A variable-speed air handler that uses less energy to move air, because it operates at a lower speed for the majority of the day
- Eco-friendly refrigerants, such as R-410A, that do not contribute to ozone depletion like R-22, which the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has begun phasing out
- Thermal expansion valves that efficiently control the amount of refrigerant that flows to the evaporator
Taken together, these features add up to an air conditioner's Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio rating, commonly known as SEER. The U.S. Department of Energy has decreed that all A/C units must score a SEER rating of 13 or higher. Prior to 2006, the minimum was 10.
This information should help you begin your search for a new A/C system. Then call the experts at Pacific Aire Heating & Cooling to round out your A/C education. Did you know, for example, that a fan-only switch on your air conditioner can substantially reduce your energy costs overnight? At Pacific Aire, we have more money-saving tips where that one came from.
But when you call us, the first thing we’ll do is assess your home’s cooling load to make sure that you purchase an A/C system that is the right size for your Ventura or Santa Barbara County home. A system that is too large will not adequately remove humidity from your home while a system that is too small will not sufficiently keep it cool. We’ll also ensure that your ductwork is properly installed and insulated. Finally, we'll install your new air conditioner and back it up with an ironclad warranty so that you can start feeling cooler tomorrow – and start showing off your newfound A/C knowledge without breaking a sweat. Call Pacific Aire Heating & Cooling today to get started.